Saturday, February 14, 2009

Teaching is NOT life, Contrary to a Previously Held Idea

A few weeks ago I wrote a post that mentioned a comment by Anne to me about how busy teachers are at all times – at night, weekends, and during breaks. I received a few comments on the blog about how that does not have to be true and I am here to say that I have now changed my idea.

Teaching, for the past few weeks has been my entire life, from waking up to going to bed. Although, last weekend I went up to my friend’s house in the mountains and spent the day not doing teaching work. It was great and it reminded me that teaching does not have to be the only thing I do. I can teach, I can plan, and I can spend my time with friends and family too – as long as I make sure my stuff gets done. I am sure it will all get easier as I go on and as I teach more, into years three, four, and five teaching should get easier – at least not as labor intense and crazy.

Which brings me to my “take home message” or main point with this post: Teaching is not life, although it can be if you make it to be.