Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Six Word Memoir: A Work In Progress

Today I learned about and was given the book Not Quite What I Was Planning: Six-Word Memoirs By Famous and Obscure Writers.  Based on the idea that when Hemingway famously wrote, “For Sale: baby shoes, never worn,” he proved that an entire story could be told in half a dozen words.  So the online storytelling magazine SMITH in 2006 asked their readers to submit six-word memoirs they proved that a whole, real life could be told in the same way.  They received an enormous response and created a book of one thousand responses to the six word memoir challenge.  A few of my favorites found in the book so far are:

"Educated too much, lived too little.” – Dan Vance (p. 115)

“Not quite what I was planning . . . “ – Summer Grimes (p. 140)

“Mixed blood.  I am America’s future.” – Holly Santiago (p. 89)

“Cursed with cancer. Blessed with friends.” – Hannah Davies (p. 86)

“Wasted time regretted so life was reinvented.” – Vicky Oppus (p. 9)

It sounded like such a neat idea that I just had to try to write out my own.  So here it is (remember it is a work in progress):

Helped bridge:

      Teachers, Students 

      Technology, World 

I will probably use this assignment in the near future with one of my classes, possibly my 10th grade students because they just got done writing normal length memoirs anyway.  However, I would encourage you to write your own six-word memoir.  What would it say?