Monday, January 5, 2009

Cities and Urban Life Reflection!

Well this article for Urban Lifestyles really made me thing about my life here in Denver. Yes, I'm not home at Wartburg anymore. It takes a while to commute to work, there are a lot more people in a congested area. It is really interesting, though, the vast amount of very different people in one location. The article stated, "People say that virtually anything can and does happen in big cities-and it doesn't take long to realize they are right." This is a totally true statement. We have homeless people begging for money on the street corner and girls with purses that cost way over $100 in class. The whole S.E.S. and culture of Denver changes so much from inner city to suburb. It is really interesting going to work every morning and driving the 30 minutes it takes me to get to the suburbs. The people, houses, and overall living conditions change by the neighborhood. It is quite interesting. Furthermore, I think it is really interesting to look at a city as a vibrant and living organism almost. Look at it, study it, and get to know it inside and out. Find what's cool about it and find what makes it different (FYI-Denver apparently has over 300 days of sunshine a year) and the only way to truly do that is to experience the city. So I have immersed myself in the sirens, the noise, the homeless guy on the street, the rich shopping malls, and the girls with designer purses and just continue to keep my eyes open and my mind working to try and figure out this city of Denver.